Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stay-at-home girlfriend

Immediately after college, things were simple. All my female friends in their 20s had jobs. It blinded me to any other possible lifestyles.

But then my friends started getting married, having kids and quitting their jobs. And enjoying it.

Many of my female friends are still working. But our conversations often turn toward NOT working -- this is, whether or not we'd enjoy it. Here's my go-to answer: "I'd like staying home at first, but eventually I'd get bored."

I feel like that's what I'm supposed to say.

Those conversations crossed my mind upon finding this essay: "How to survive as a SAHG (stay-at-home girlfriend)."

At times, the piece seems like a satire. The writer includes many cringe-worthy references to keeping her boyfriend happy (having dinner ready when he gets home, cleaning the house).

But if you ignore the antiquated gender roles, the essay to some extent reflects current economic realities. The writer's husband didn't suddenly offer to subsidize her so she could quit her job.

No, she was left jobless after her corporate gig was outsourced.

It's a different scenario than someone who deliberately decides to sit back and live on her significant other's income. The writer closes the essay by saying she intends to eventually have her own career.

So the essay's tone, as divisive as it sounds, might simply be an attempt to make the best of a bad situation.

Thoughts?

(Thanks to the always amazing Lizzie for directing me to the link that inspired this post.)