Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day, part 2?

In this week's column, I advocate a second Valentine's Day.

Don't hate me. Well, at least listen to my reasons before you hate me.

It’s not a totally radical idea.

In Japan, women give men chocolate on Valentine’s Day. Men return the gesture on White Day, held on March 14.

The U.S. doesn’t have White Day, but let’s not forget about the socially impaired cousin of Valentine’s Day: Sweetest Day.

If you haven’t heard of Sweetest Day, you’re probably not alone. The holiday, a mini version of Valentine’s Day held in October, seems to have its biggest fan following in the Midwest.

One of the major weaknesses surrounding Valentine's Day is the pressure that comes with having only one designated calendar day a year to mark your love. If you’re in a relationship on Feb. 14, everything’s cool. If you’re single, you’re stressed.

Widespread national acceptance of Sweetest Day -- or even White Day -- would make Valentine’s Day a little more palatable.

Male readers, I know what you’re thinking: “This is Sonya’s worst idea ever. I can’t believe she’s actually suggesting I endure the pain and social judgment of Valentine’s Day twice.”

Not so fast.

If we had something like White Day, guys, you’d be guaranteed gifts in exchange for all the stress induced by arranging flower deliveries.

It’s kind of growing on you, right?