Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011 final thoughts

Pretty soon, it'll all be over.

People who celebrate Valentine's Day will enjoy their romantic dinners. People who oppose the holiday will breathe a sigh of relief.

As I type this blog post, I've had a great Valentine's Day. If I get out of the office in time to buy some chocolate-covered strawberries, my day will be complete.

I agree with this writer's assertion: Couples who hate Valentine's Day are often more annoying than single people who hate Valentine's Day.

An excerpt from the Slate article:

I'm talking about the couples who say they are "above" Valentine's Day. You know what I'm talking about: those who sniff, "We think our love should be celebrated every day" or "I don't need Hallmark to remind me that I love my wife." They make a big deal out of not making a big deal out of Valentine's Day.

Throughout Valentine's Day, I saw tons of Facebook updates with lines like, "My husband and I hate Valentine's Day! We celebrate our love 365 days a year!"

Is that really true? I mean, how many people pause to celebrate their most important relationships EVERY DAY?

If you honestly celebrate your love every day...go ahead and complain. But otherwise, take a cue from the rest of us and succumb to silly traditions.

You might like it.