Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Congratulations!

Do we need an entire article reminding us of the proper response upon learning about someone's engagement?

Yes, apparently.

This piece reminds us to say "congratulations" when someone announces an engagement.

Common sense? Sure. But I've witnessed multiple conversations when people think "I got engaged" translates into "Tell me what you really think about my relationship." Um, no.

Trust me, I've witnessed many train wreck relationships culminate in an engagement. Did I express my honest opinion of the union's future? Of course not.

The worst is when someone uses an engagement announcement as a cue to lament his or her romantic shortcomings. There's nothing worse than having your bliss cut short by a whiny, "I want to get married, too!"

Agree?