Thursday, March 17, 2011

Erin go Bragh!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Hope you've avoided the social awkwardness of being pinched by a stranger. If you're looking for local party options for tonight, click here.

I love St. Patrick's Day. The holiday always reminds me of my grandma, a woman who sculpted my passion for all things Irish.

She loved her Irish heritage and often embraced seemingly inexplicable things like leprechauns. We were critical when she was convinced a certain star in the sky was an angel.

It's been more than 10 years since she died, but I think about her every day.

So last night, when the brakes on my car conveniently began their demise around midnight, I said a little prayer that my grandma would help me safely drive two miles to the auto shop this morning.

I made it.

And while I respect the traditions associated with St. Patrick's Day, I think even my grandma would say the two-mile trip relied on factors much deeper than sheer luck.