Thursday, March 24, 2011

No regrets?

While discussing romantic relationships with female friends, I often hear this line: "I have absolutely no regrets."

My response is simple: "Liar."

OK, I don't really say that.

But sometimes, the "no regrets" line prevents you from acknowledging the romantic mistakes you've made and, in turn, becoming a better person.

At the same time, if you over-analyze life's regrets, you end up trapped in the past. Which isn't the best path toward self-improvement, either.

Women are more likely than men to list romance among their life regrets, according to results of a recent study.

As Jezebel notes, the results aren't shocking. Women often regard relationship status as an indicator of life success. Plus, I think women in general are inclined to over-analyze past relationships and consequently arrive at a sense of regret.

Finally, I think our culture subtly believes it's the woman's responsibility to resuscitate a dying relationship. Sure, men deliver flower-accompanied apologies, but we sometimes regard women as the ones who are supposed to "save" their misguided partners.

Thoughts?