Monday, July 30, 2007

weekend recap

Another great weekend. I moved off the beaten path and ventured to some hot spots off downtown's main drag. Friday, we hit Broad Street Blues, the Phenix City club I've raved about in the past.

House band Peggy Jenkins and the Rhythm Roosters was wonderful as usual, and the crowd significantly exceeded what I've seen in previous visits. But the place kind of cleared out shortly after midnight, and one of my friends guessed it was because the majority of partiers had to get home in time to pay a babysitter.

Saturday, after running with the Chattahoochee Valley Hash House Harriers, I went to the upscale cigar and martini bar Belloo's. I don't go there consistently, mainly because it's pricey. I bought four drinks -- two berry whites, one regular martini, one beer -- and my tab was $39.

No, those drinks weren't all for me.

Here's the thing, though. On select nights it's possible to go upscale without breaking the bank. Every Saturday is Little Black Dress night...ladies wearing little black dresses get in free PLUS a $10 gift certificate.

Thursdays are Gold's Gym Nights, when you get free admission and a $10 gift certificate after showing your Gold's Gym membership card.

Even if you don't have a little black dress, or a Gold's Gym membership, you should at least splurge once and check out Belloo's. There's a unique vibe, and I'd like to know what you think.