Thursday, July 24, 2008

awww...


This list of the 25 most romantic gestures in film made me gag, then embrace my hormonal comforts by crawling under my desk and bawling with a box of chocolate.

Jealous?

Anyway, my favorite item on the list is the end scene from "When Harry Met Sally." But despite my frequent despise for certain chick flicks, I like other romantic movie moments, too. Plenty of parts from the "Sex and the City" flick. Oh, and some parts from "Forrest Gump." Random, I know.

Girls sometimes say that those scenes are overrated, that they don't need grand romantic gestures to be happy in a relationship. They're lying. And sadly, in real life, the kind of gestures you see in movies generally come from the creepy stalker guys. Like the one who years ago made me a heart-shaped pizza.

Totally romance movie-worthy if he wasn't 15 years my senior. Not to mention the fact that we'd never really talked before.

Sometimes the gestures guys think are movie-caliber just come off as really cliche. Once, I was completely flattered by the way a date gave me flowers -- until he followed it up with, "It's something that always worked with my ex-girlfriend."

I think the romantic movie scenes that appeal most to women are the ones that involve a guy giving some extended monologue expressing his feelings -- a scene most unlikely to take place in real life.

And even when it does, you're not guaranteed a happy ending.

Thoughts?