Tuesday, August 12, 2008

another tuesday event


Just wanted to single out Two Steppin' Tuesdays at Aqua Nightclub, 1812 Midtown Drive.

Open to partiers 21 and older, the event features a free line dancing class from 7:30 to 9 p.m. After that, there's country music all night long. No cover.

Aqua insiders say this event -- which is still fairly new -- is doing well. I heard it recently attracted something like 60 people.

I often get e-mails from people asking why there aren't more country music hot spots here in Columbus. It's an interesting question, considering the local popularity of country music.

I think the answer boils down to the fact that a club can't sustain its popularity with the patronage of country music fans alone. There aren't enough local country acts for a bar to have a live entertainment lineup consisting entirely of country music.

Also, I don't know if this is a stereotype, but I've heard from a variety of bar owners that country music fans aren't the type to stay out late -- or spend excessive money on alcohol.

I could be wrong, though. What do you guys think? Do you think a local bar could stay popular with more than one country music night a week?