Thursday, August 14, 2008

defending your freedom (to party)


Wednesday, while waiting for the action to start at The Sports Page's Idol Search, I hung out with this table of guys -- all of whom requested a shout-out on my blog. So here it is.

I enjoyed the company, though, and appreciated the fact that they refrained from the overly aggressive pickup strategies. Even the guy who repeatedly informed me of the erotic value of my vanilla-scented perfume. (Thanks. I, um, wouldn't have survived otherwise.)

Later that night, spiraling into contemplative mode, I came to the conclusion that on the nightlife scene, it really is a minority of guys who give the crew cut a bad name. Most guys are just out there to be social and meet women and have a good time.

Regardless of whether you like their pickup strategies, you can't deny the fact that the local military guys you encounter have made sacrifices beyond what you'd imagine.

That in itself deserves a little friendly conversation.
Exchanging cell phone numbers, however, is a different story.