Thursday, August 7, 2008

don't cry for me

Ladies...would you be weirded out if your significant other cried? Repeatedly?

I started thinking about that after checking out this BBC article about 10 things that make men, um, "blokes," cry. And as if those 10 weren't enough, there's a link on the side of the page referring the reader to 80 more things that make men cry.

Damn. And I thought I was emotionally disturbed.

The aforementioned 80 items, by the way, are penned by readers. My favorite is No. 18: "Being told by the girl that you love that she wants you dead."

Anyway, I think man tears are OK in many situations. At times, they make men appear human instead of the emotionally devoid robots they usually pretend to be. An example of necessary man tears would be in the aftermath of a family member's death.

It does, however, weird me out a bit when a man cries with the frequency of the average woman. I had one relationship where the traditional gender roles were totally reversed -- the guy would want to talk about our feelings all the time, and those discussions generally culminated in crying.

It was just too much for me, and it's not a situation I'd like to be in again.

Seriously. Can I just always be the psycho one? That usually works out well.