Monday, August 11, 2008

weekend lessons

Disclaimer: As a woman, I know that when you hit the club scene with one of your female friends, you open yourself up to pickup lines. You can't expect to have uninterrupted conversations, and you can't think it's too outrageous when guys hit on you.

That said...

WHY CAN'T GUYS TAKE A HINT?

This question was the resounding theme Friday and Saturday night when I went out with my BFF Andrea. Repeatedly, just as we were in mid-conversation, a guy would come up to our table and just sit down. No asking for permission. What's more, even after we (politely) gave them the cold shoulder, they'd just stay there.

It's pretty much one of the most annoying things possible. Why would you continue to hit on a girl when she's rolling her eyes at your mere presence? Or when she directly calls you "gross"?

(Yes, I really did say that to a guy over the weekend.)

To me, it seems like that would weigh on a guy's self-esteem. When a girl clearly isn't interested, it seems like the logical course of action would be to move on to someone more ready, willing and eager. (Read: drunk and skanky.)

Can someone please explain this to me?