Tuesday, August 19, 2008

high maintenance?

On average, a woman spends 3,276 hours of her life getting ready for a night out, this article concludes.

Men spend 1,092 hours.

My average primp time is about an hour. Given my frizz-prone hair, I really don't think that's too bad. I do envy guys' less complicated routines, though.

Do I need all the makeup and color-coordinated shoes, purse and jewelry? Probably not. But I do think there's something to be said for taking pride in your appearance. Not exactly to the extent that you're curling your hair to go to a football game, but rather as it pertains to putting on a pair of heels to go downtown on a Saturday night.

Sometimes, investing time in how you present yourself just makes you feel more confident.

A little public service announcement for all men: Your girl put work -- sometimes hours of it -- into choosing her tube top, heels and everything in between. Even if you think it looks like every other outfit she's worn, compliment her.

One of the worst nights of my life -- possibly THE worst night -- came after I devoted an entire day to picking out an outfit of jeans, a tube top and the debut appearance of a killer pair of black heels. Loved it.

On my way to the date, I kept imagining how I'd be showered in compliments. The first thing that happened? My date told me to take off my new heels.

Because they made me taller than him.

Yeah, don't do that, guys.