Thursday, April 19, 2007

don't cha?


On my way to work this morning, I found myself listening to Avril Lavigne's latest single, "Girlfriend." Stop laughing. Please.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't heard it -- imagine that -- the song is pretty much your typical bubblegum pop ranting of something to the effect of, "You're dating a really stupid person and you should be dating me instead." The chorous? "Hey! Hey! You! You! I don't like your girfriend. No way! No way! I think you need a new one. Hey! Hey! You! You! I could be your girlfriend."

A lyrical masterpiece, I know. But ignore that for a minute.

The song follows The Pussycat Dolls' "Don't Cha," which preaches a similar message. While listening to that song, a guy once told me it depicts one of the hottest guy fantasies imaginable -- being seduced by the Other Woman.

Fantasies aside, I can think of multiple situations in the past when a man of my dreams has instead opted for someone with what seem to be glaring flaws. Not minor inconveniences like a bad sense of style or a weird taste in music, but real drawbacks. Like a bad personality. Or a history of cheating. Or an incompatible take on intimacy.

Without the convenience of cute song lyrics to get your point across, when (if ever) is it appropriate to bring a partner's flaws to someone's attention? And is it ever possible to do so without seeming like a jealous third party?

Happy Thursday, everyone.