Thursday, April 12, 2007

girls gone wild?


Can "girls just wanna have fun" justify all your weekend shenanigans? Maybe not.

This week's column is about the divisions, or lack thereof, between saint and skank. After attending a Playboy-themed party at Big City Club last Friday, many friends asked me to write about where female party goers cross the line between being sexy and going overboard.

I was all set to go with that theme, but midway through the process I realized my thinking was kind of flawed. Even though I might be opposed to contests that require nothing other than excellence in grinding, I'm not necessarily in a position to judge other people's concept of fun.

Downtown is supposed to be vehicle for escapism, a place where you let go of the stress and office politics that consume your Mondays through Fridays. Sure, it's possible to relax without bearing your stomach rolls and sticking $1 bills in your bosom...but then who would we rely on for entertainment?

I'd like to hear what you think, though. From bikini contests to Playboy parties, is there a skank culture downtown? And if so, is that OK?