Wednesday, April 4, 2007

lights, camera, action?

So today, in an attempt to better understand the male brain, I was playing around on AskMen.com. Shortly after reading "The Top 10 Ways to Get the Office Babe," I came across this article about the top 10 chick flicks guys can allegedly stomach.

It made me laugh, largely because I've been discussing my immense hatred of most chick flicks for the past week. When some of my female co-workers wanted to devote a recent Saturday night to watching "Under the Tuscan Sun," I threw a giant fit and eventually was successful in aborting the mission and going downtown instead. (Sorry, Dawn!)

I don't really hate all chick flicks. I just hate the ones that focus on someone who gets dumped and then rediscovers herself. So 99 percent of chick flicks.

My reason? I just feel as if these movies often work to only deepen depression by putting dejected women in a room together with a lifetime supply of Kleenex when the same women could be ditching their attempts at self-analysis, getting off their butts and actually filming another chapter of their own life movies.

Moreover, the majority of these breakup-turned-good movies work on a premise that something life-changing and inspirational will happen to you after you're dumped, when in reality that's not always true. You could spend months crying in front of your TV and gaining weight on Eskimo Kisses ice cream. So ironically, these movies also have a tremendous potential to backfire when a viewer comes home not to a mysterious stranger or lucrative independent career offer, but instead the same memory-inducing sheets she sought to escape.

Anyway, here are the top 10 chick flicks guys can enjoy, according to the article:

10. Meet Joe Black
9. Desperately Seeking Susan
8. Thelma and Louise
7. An Officer and a Gentleman
6. When Harry Met Sally
5. Serendipity
4. The Craft
3. Blue Crush
2. Mean Girls
1. Bridget Jones' Diary

I'll be anxious to hear what you think. I disagree with the list to some extent, because its writer seems to define "chick flick" as any movie with an ensemble cast that is primarily female.

False. Right?