Thursday, April 12, 2007

stretching the truth

Are men still stupid enough to believe women who say nothing's wrong? I didn't think so.

Today I came across this list of supposedly the five lies all women tell men. Because I know you'll likely be too lazy to actually click on the link, here they are:

5. "You're the best in bed."
4. "I don't mind picking up the tab tonight. You always pay, anyway."
3. "I'm just not ready for a boyfriend right now."
2. "I don't mind if you go to strip clubs with the boys."
1. "I'm not mad at you."

All in all, I agree...with some disclaimers. First, and perhaps most importantly, the whole "I'm not mad at you" lie is complicated. It's kind of a double-edged sword, because as much as guys complain about when you say you're "not mad" or "nothing's wrong," they also hate confrontation. So sometimes I think guys just ask that to cover their bases, not because they really want to know the answer.

Also...reason No. 4 makes women seem like gold diggers. True, nobody's going to be ecstatic about paying for dinner, but it's not because of bent gender roles or relationship issues. I just get mad because I'm a broke ass ho.

And yes...anything that involves use of "the best" -- or, in my case, "the best ever" -- is probably a slight exaggeration of the truth. But not always.

Thoughts?