Wednesday, April 4, 2007

hate her


I'm writing this post largely as a service to my co-workers, who have been forced to listen to me complain about Heather Mills since approximately 9:47 this morning.


Basically I really hate her.


Prior to "Dancing with the Stars," I'd heard about her in tabloids and the like, but I never gave her the intense hatred I've attached to stars like Tara Reid. That changed when I started watching "Dancing," though.


My temper first rose last week, when she performed a flip maneuver that technically violated one of the show's major rules -- at least one foot must stay on the ground at all times. Actor Mario Lopez violated this rule multiple times last season, and was consequently penalized. The judges said nothing about Heather's mishap, though, and instead praised her for her courage.


(Side note for anyone unfamiliar with Heather Mills: She has a prosthetic leg.)


That was a technical element, though, and it really didn't bother me too much. But here's what really got me going. This week, in order to perform the jive, Heather got entirely new -- and likely very expensive -- prosthetic leg that would let her jump.


Sure, she probably looked great, but it just angers me how she's repeatedly hailed as this gigantic inspiration for disabled people when the reality is that the average handicapped individual lacks the money to buy a specially designed limb to deal any time life throws out a new challenge.


I don't care about the whole Paul McCartney divorce thing. I do, however, care about the fact that she's using the "Dancing" opportunity not as a chance to highlight courage, but instead as an opportunity to rub social and economic disparities in the faces of the many fans she could be inspiring.


Hate her.