Thursday, April 26, 2007

what's in a name?


It's easy to forget the role names play in our romantic inclinations. In grade school, I never went so far as to practice my cursive by scrawling my crush's name on college-ruled notebook paper. But in my later days, I do admit to getting caught up in Bennifer fever and trying to create cute little "we have no individual identities" couple monikers for my romantic pursuits.

Unfortunately, it never really worked...even though I always wanted to fall in love with a guy named Lars so our name could be Sonars.

Still can't get enough of that TomKat creativity? Now, USA today has an electronic celebrity name generator where you can type in your name (first or last) and your partner's name (first or last) and get a couple name.

I just tried "Jessica" (Simpson) and "John" (Mayer) and ended up with Jesohn.

The results aren't nearly as promising for Tom and Katie, who end up as Tomtie. Or Brad and Angelina, also known as Bradina.

Oh well. It's a worthwhile distraction, almost good enough to take you back to the days of bad cursive and otherwise useless binder dividers.