Friday, April 20, 2007

smart is the new sexy

Wanna impress me? Forget the bars and take me to a spelling bee.

At least that's what this Washington Post article says. It's about how more 20- and 30-somethings are choosing intellectual hot spots -- library lectures, museum discussion series, contemporary debates -- as date venues. Also, it describes how the Web increasingly has helped single brainiacs connect, citing the 6,000-member Washington-based Web site intellectConnect as an example.

The best part? A spelling bee for New York singles. The event, held regularly, includes categories like "sex," "medical conditions" and "uncomfortable things."

Sounds cool. Kinda. Even though the article pertains mainly to bigger cities like Manhattan and Boston, I'm wondering how these activities would fare in Columbus. Is our nightlife in need of some intellectualism?

Send me your comments. I'll even ignore any misspellings.