Tuesday, June 19, 2007

demons & detours


Forgive me, Father, for I forgot to use my turn signal this morning.

It sounds absurd, but now such a confession is not too far out of line. Today, the Vatican issued a set of "Ten Commandments" for drivers, according to this article. The document, which urges motorists to pray while driving, it an attempt to curb road rage and the blasphemous behavior that often occurs in its aftermath.

The commandments range from "you shall not kill" to "courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events."

In addition, drivers are encouraged to not only make the sign of the cross before leaving on a trip, but also to say the rosary along the way. Talk about distraction. I think remembering the words to the Hail Mary is more difficult than applying lipstick while on the freeway.

That said, I don't think these commandments -- "Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road" -- are an entirely bad idea.

You have no idea how many times I've been nearly hit by a motorist sporting a bumper sticker with some cute message about kindness. If a set of Vatican-endorsed commandments is all it takes to get drivers to use their turn signals, count me in.

What are YOUR ten commandments for drivers?