Friday, June 22, 2007

what's going on this weekend?


TGIF. I'm almost all set to embark on another weekend of nightlife shenanigans.

But first...check out my article in today's paper about the new Lifetime series "Army Wives." I talked to a bunch of Fort Benning wives and discussed the series' accuracy. The interviews were really eye-opening and next week I hope to post some of the additional quotes here and ask a couple follow-up questions, so look forward to that.

Also...wanted to give a quick recap of Thursday night. I went downtown in a relatively mellow outing that was nonetheless one of my favorite nights in the year I've been here. It had been nearly two months since I ventured out on a Thursday, and it was nice to see a chill summer crowd out on the town.

Alan and I ended up at Savana's (which still has luau decorations up) and Scruffy Murphy's, where we sat on the back patio. I like to call it downtown's best-kept secret. For now. A cover band called "The Cove" was playing, and even though their playlist was initially a little sketchy -- three words: Eagle Eye Cherry -- they actually were pretty good.

The moral? Don't underestimate the power of Thursday nights. They're a good option for partiers who don't like weekend crowds, and this summer so far has generated a nice flow of late-week bar crawlers.

Anyway...on to the weekend. Some highlights:

*Party band Autumn Haze hits the stage at The Vault Friday.

*The Southern rockers from Whisky Bent invade Scruffy Murphy's on both Friday and Saturday.

*The guys from Pipers Down rock out at Daileys Friday and Saturday.

*Singer/songwriter Kelly Buchanan, who says she's "a more energetic PJ Harvey," performs at The Loft on Saturday.

*Blues band MoJo:Saint entertains at Broad Street Blues in Phenix City on Saturday.

Have fun, be safe and tell me all your stories Monday morning.