Monday, June 4, 2007

weekend "hits" & misses

Time to recap another wild weekend in Columbus.

Strangely enough, I started my weekend by getting hit by a car. Seriously. Like a real, moving vehicle. I parked in front of my office Friday to meet my friends at Picasso Pizza. I got out of my car and started walking downtown. Then, seconds later, I was knocked backwards with a tremendous "thud." A car was backing out of a parking spot and didn't see me.

Anyway, I wasn't hurt. But good story, right?

Another thing about Friday...I realized that maybe the First Friday Bar Crawl isn't that cool after all. Here's the thing...there's something like seven bars included in the blanket $8 cover. But to get into any of those bars individually, you have to pay the bar crawl fee. So if you want to go to, say, JUST Savana's, you still have to pay $8. In that scenario, you'd actually LOSE money by doing the bar crawl thing. All in all, bad planning. The bar crawl option should just be for pinballers, and people who want to just go to one venue should be able to pay a $5 cover as usual. Enough said.

It's just another alleged marketing technique that could backfire to make partiers even less inclined to hit Broadway. My friends and I, for example, ended up at Locos...where we saw a pretty serious bar fight. Awesome.

Saturday, I went to the Summer Side Show and yes, I was very much out of place among the plethora of goth teens. Next year I'll remember to paint my nails black.

Another highlight of Saturday night was Nikki Lixx, the band who performed at Scruffy Murphy's. You guys will read more about them in this week's column, but let's just say the band's Catholic schoolgirl uniforms worked. Mmm.

Happy Monday!