Wednesday, June 13, 2007

where's the love?



Happy Wednesday, everybody, and sorry for the lack of posts yesterday. I was busy with work, and you'll see the final product in tomorrow's To Do section. Get ready.


Anyway, forgive me...OK?


I was surprised to learn "Real World: San Diego" alum Frankie Abernathy passed away over the weekend at age 25. She was the one with the inexplicable fear of boats, not to mention her trademark line about being "too punk rock" for the reality TV series.


In other news, my parents celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary over the weekend. That's a really long time to be married. I'm lucky if I can find a guy who will stick around after seeing my CD collection.


At the same time, rocker grrrl Kelly Clarkson, 25, made headlines this week when she confessed to never having said "I love you" in a romantic relationship.


The same is true of me.


I'm amazed by how many people throw the L-word around lightly...they're a breed one of my best friends calls "chronic monogamists." In recent weeks, I've met many couples who met, professed their love and married in less than six months. My mom maintains those marriages will never work.


But maybe love is easier to understand when it's done in the absence of self-analysis. Maybe, by waiting too long for a false sense of perfection, L-word skeptics are actually hurting themselves.


What do you think? Are couples more inclined to use the word "love" prematurely now? Or, does it remain a major relationship milestone.


Love you.