Thursday, June 21, 2007

hollering at my bitches


Happy Thursday! The week's almost over, although not soon enough, right?

Check out my article in today's To Do section about aggression among women. It's all about a culture of subtle meanness exacerbated factors like reality TV.

While researching the article, I picked up a copy of the recent best-seller, "Why Men Marry Bitches." Unfortunately, my editor wouldn't let me refer to the book in my piece. Which, of course, means it's totally worth reading.

That said, the book brings up an interesting point in that it encourages female readers to stray away from submissive stereotypes and move toward dramatic ideals of independence. Moreover, author Sherry Argov asserts this is the chief way, if not ONLY way, to secure a lasting relationship.

"When I polled men, they all said confident women are in very short supply. And that a confident woman is what they find sexiest," Argov writes.

She also raises a good question.

Sure, men claim they want confident women, but at the same time many men are still often reluctant to embrace a woman whose success -- socially or professionally -- exceeds their own.

Guys...where do you draw the line when it comes to confident women?

And gals...is there a point when you can be TOO confident -- i.e., playing hard-to-get so seriously that you end up losing the guy?