Friday, June 1, 2007

what's going on this weekend?


OK, it's 5 p.m. Friday and we're approaching the home stretch. For those of you whose minds are on something other than work right now (read: everybody), here's a quick roundup of weekend happenings:

*Tonight marks the return of the First Friday Bar Crawl. Pay one cover ($7 or $10, depending on who you ask) and get into a bunch of bars...probably six. Among those bars is The Vault, which is hosting a toga party. Party band Beeramid will entertain.

*Saturday, the Summer Side Show is kind of a big deal. Pay $15 and get all-day access to the 32 bands playing in the Bradley Theater. The 12-hour event starts at 11 a.m.

*If you want more live music later Saturday night, head over to Scruffy Murphy's. The downtown Columbus bar will host Lixx, an Atlanta-based party band whose female members sport Catholic schoolgirl uniforms on the act's Web site. If that isn't an incentive to check them out, I don't know what is.

And what am I doing this weekend? Um, hello...partying like a rock star. In addition to that, though, I'm attempting to finally add some closure to my summer swimsuit shopping saga via a trip to Old Navy on Saturday.

Also, I'm incredibly psyched because I noticed the new Ulta (located just off Veterans near Kohl's and Red Robin) will be having its grand opening June 8, 9 and 10. In summary, Ulta is a giant fragrance/hair care/makeup store that was a favorite of mine in California. Even though the official grand opening isn't until next weekend, I'm going to scope out the premises Saturday in hopes of discovering some open doors.

Wish me luck, have a great weekend and please drop me a note Monday with potential column ideas.