Monday, December 28, 2009

Boo Camp

Hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas. I enjoyed my weekend of bonding in Huntsville, Ala.

As I suggested in the previous post, it's always difficult to retain the Christmas spirit once the holiday has ended. One day you're expressing undying gratitude, the next day you're back to nagging your boyfriend about his incessant snoring.

Where does a good-intentioned 20-something find help?

Let me introduce you to Boo Camp.

That is not a typo. I don't mean "boot camp." My version -- "boo camp" -- refers to "boo," an endearing/annoying term many people use while referring to their significant other.

Alan recently devised the brilliant concept: a week-long focus on making your boyfriend/girlfriend happy. No outhouses required.

The idea isn't entirely in jest. Every relationship can benefit from a conscious effort to fix problem areas, especially with the focus on change and renewal that comes with a new year.

Boo Camp, my friends, is a state of mind as well as a way of action.

It focuses on appreciating the small stuff, ignoring the insignificant stuff and -- if you're really adventurous -- surrendering the remote control.

Who's in?