Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Shoe love is true love

Don't believe me? Check out this recent study, which concluded women are more attached to shoes than to their boyfriends.

In a poll, almost all women remembered their first pair of shoes, but just 63 percent remembered the person with whom they shared their first kiss.

Also, 96 percent of women felt bad about throwing away a pair of shoes. Only 15 percent felt bad about dumping a boyfriend.

Shoes hold a special place in the average woman's heart, but I don't think that place is distinctly different from the one she reserves for romance.

To some extent, shoe memories and relationship memories are linked.

I still associate a pair of my black heels with a guy who made me change shoes because I was taller than him.

A pair of pink stilettos remind me of a mall date that taught me a guy's willingness to spend time in Sephora says a lot about his character.

Finally, my silver heels resurrect memories of when I opted for Payless ShoeSource over Macy's in order to have enough money to buy my boyfriend a good birthday dinner.

So for better or worse, shoes and romance don't exist in separate spheres. I'm not complaining.

My closet would be significantly smaller if it wasn't for breakup-induced retail therapy.