Thursday, December 10, 2009

Breakup songs




When Kelly Clarkson performs tonight at the Columbus Civic Center, fans will rock out to "Since U Been Gone," a tune I think is one of this decade's best breakup songs.

It's easy to roll your eyes at heartbreak-based melodies when you're happy, but the songs acquire some therapeutic value when you're drowning in a sea of tissues. That's why I fully support this entrepreneur's idea to create a "Moping Mix" franchise.

Anyway, in a breakup's aftermath, I prefer songs of the "I'm totally better without you" variety. But hey, I won't judge if you've spent 12 hours listening to "Without You" on replay. We've all been there.

Submitted for your approval, here are my top 5 breakup songs. Submit yours in the comments section.

Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone" (listen)
There are so many reasons to love this song, from the rocker edge to the multiple references to moving on. Thank you, Kelly, for reminding me that therapy sessions can double as dance parties.

Jazmine Sullivan, "Bust Your Windows" (listen)
What can I say? I love entertaining fantasies of destroying somebody's favorite possessions. Maybe that's why I haven't had a lot of boyfriends.

Taylor Swift, "Picture to Burn" (listen)
I'm embarrassed to admit I actually bumped a Beyonce song to add Taylor Swift to the list. The reason? This line: "My daddy's going to show you how sorry you'll be."

Fergie, "Big Girls Don't Cry"
(listen)
Ah, Fergie. Thanks for making it so easy for me to reenact the despondent stares that dominate "The Hills."

Pussycat Dolls, "I Don't Need a Man" (listen)
Should I tell you how many times I've had private dance parties to this song? Probably not.