Monday, December 7, 2009

Sincerely yours

Let me treat you to one of my deepest, darkest fantasies.

One day, I will have a husband. We will have a December tradition of wearing matching polo shirts and posing beside a serene body of water for annual Christmas card photo. Our pets will also be involved. They will wear Santa hats, and perhaps hold stockings in their mouths.

We will print approximately 107 copies of the photo, enough to send to all our significant (and insignificant) acquaintances.

The image will be framed by hand-drawn holly berries, which I will paint myself using glitter glue. Below, I'll write "Season's Greetings" with a silver gel pen.

Wait, the fun doesn't stop there.

We'll attach the photo to our annual Christmas catch-up newsletter -- you know, those things you pretend to hate but secretly envy.

True to form, our letter will span approximately three pages and will be cluttered in adjectives like "spirited," "monumental" and "brilliant."

Man, I am excited. My optimism only grew after reading this article -- which says despite all the hype surrounding e-cards, the traditional Christmas card's popularity could be growing.

In the meantime, I'll remain a little lax in my Christmas card mailing.

When you live alone, and primarily derive excitement out of watching your dog model her Snuggie, it's often best not to update your relatives on your achievements.

(For tips on holiday cards, check out our Holiday Survival Guide blog here.)