Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pregnant pauses

One of my valued achievements this decade? Mastering the art of talking to new parents.

It's a lesson I learned almost immediately after college, when many of my friends quickly transitioned from "where's the keg party?" to "where's the diaper party?"

Initial immersion was a bit jarring.

You can't necessarily prepare for a conversation about the different colors of a newborn's poop. And if you're unmarried and childless, you look a little silly offering a compassionate "I totally understand."

When I hung out with some new parents over Christmas, I realized how far my conversation skills have come.

The discussion -- which included colored poop, of course -- didn't prompt me to enter a bitter tirade about how I'm never having kids. It also didn't make me vomit, or engage in a heartfelt conversation with my biological clock.

Sure, things get a little awkward when you throw pacifiers into the mix. But at their core, your friends are likely still the same engaging people with whom you initially connected.

Those keg conversations were getting a little old, anyway.

And hey: If your conversation skills still leave a little to be desired, check out this handy list of 10 things to never say to pregnant women.