Thursday, December 10, 2009

That time of year?

Earlier this week, I indulged in a quasi-meltdown by yelling at a nonexistent audience:

"I can't handle it! Everybody I know is getting engaged at this time of year!"

A couple hours later, I found myself discussing the seasonal blues with a friend. She explained her pessimism like this:

"I can't handle it! Everybody I know is breaking up at this time of year!"

Huh?

I still can't decide what's more prevalent around Christmas: engagements or breakups. Truth is, my friend and I were probably both right.

The holiday season, rich in sentimentality and diamond commercials, makes many couples reevaluate the seriousness of their relationship.

Sometimes, that's exactly what you need to realize you're ready to take things to the next level.

Other times, reevaluating your relationship can have the opposite effect -- a harsh awareness that your love journey has arrived at the exit for Splitsville.

Despite the discomfort, I think every relationship needs to have that moment when you timidly ask, "Where is this going?"

So to some extent, the holiday pressure can be good. But an influx of engagements, divorces and prying relationships can also perpetuate a belief that you need to decide your relationship's future RIGHT NOW.

And really, that's not true at all.

Because one of the best parts of being in love -- or at least being in like -- is sitting on the couch together, watching TV and realizing the immediate bliss makes you completely fine with an uncertain future.