Thursday, March 29, 2007

bonding sans bars

This week's column poses a question about how to meet people if you're not into the Columbus-area bar scene. It was inspired by an e-mail I received regarding a lack of local volunteer/professional organizations for Columbus-area 20- or 30-somethings.

It's an interesting issue, and something that's been on my mind since I moved here, and not only as it pertains to dating and making acquaintances/hookup buddies of the opposite sex. Frankly, it often seems like if you don't enjoy drinking or the club/bar scene, it's hard to find friends. I wrote about those concerns when I first got here.

Once you knock out the bar crowd, only so many 20- and 30-somethings are eligible hangout partners. You get in the dangerous slope of people being in a serious relationship, married or having children. Even if they don't fit under those categories, the majority of your potential friends are likely work colleagues, and dipping your social pen in company ink is often risky.

So like I said, I posed the question in my column and I'm taking suggestions about clubs you think need to be formed or meet markets you think are often overlooked. Believe it or not, people are actually responding. Wow.

Responses re: alternate meet markets? The bowling alley, Laundromats and churches. I got a really nice call this afternoon from an individual raving about the role Bible study classes play in giving you a complimentary background check on a potential mate. I guess that's true, with the exception of the events surrounding the Natson murder trial.

The most creative suggestion? The creation of a Columbus-area chess club. Anyone else interested?

Anyway, keep the ideas coming. I'll probably do a follow-up soon.