Monday, March 5, 2007

shackin' up

You'd think I'd feel some sort of guilt while hitting a venue aptly called the Shanty Shack until 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, but I escaped from the club unscathed. It was my first time visiting this newly popular Columbus hot spot (located just off Warm Springs Road), and I came away with some noteworthy impressions. It's one of the few local venues in which you can pay homage to your tractor and big butts at the same time. Read more details in this week's column.
In fact, this was a weekend of firsts, aside from my repeat trip to Red Robin Friday night. I'm an addict. I did, fortunately, find out the name of the lingerie shop (Lander's Lingerie and Gifts) and paid them a visit Saturday afternoon.
The shop was OK, but nothing I'd recommend to anyone looking for a va-va-voom reaction. I came out empty-handed, secretely wishing there was back room I somehow overlooked.
Slightly more eventful was my first trip to the Jamaican Grill (1901 Manchester Expressway, Columbus). My friend Andrea found this restaurant, which opened fairly recently and regularly features nights devoted to reggae, poetry and networking.
The food was stellar and the atmosphere was top-notch, but the best part by far was the drink menu. It featured selections like "Kama Sutra" and "Dat Bitch." Order them stiff...with a straight face.
Also of note...I ended my weekend Sunday night by watching the Academy Award-nominated documentary "Jesus Camp." It's about evangelican Christian children who attend Kids on Fire Summer Camp in Devils Lake, N.D. There, they pray to a cardboard cutout of George W. Bush, learn Harry Potter is the devil's work and are moved to tears while repenting sins of hypocrisy.
Check it out, and then pray like your life depends on it.
Have a fabulous week, everyone.