Wednesday, March 21, 2007

i heart nerds


I've never read a Harry Potter book. I've never seen a single component of the Star Wars series. I've never even dressed up as a skanky version of anything even remotely related to science fiction for Halloween.


Still, I think nerds are the coolest people ever.


I don't even know why. Given my passion for (non-goth) body glitter and (non-goth) stilettos, you'd think I'd opt for the classically suave Mr. Big types. False. I'm just totally intrigued by anyone who likes dungeons. A lot.


I guess my fascination began with a romantic interest of mine who was obsessed with "Magic: The Gathering," a science fiction card game that consumed the majority of his weekends. It seemed far beyond the realm of my incessant shopping sprees and manicure sessions, but I'd devote consecutive phone conversations to grilling him about the game's specifics, none of which I really understood. Also, I had dreams of going to a Magic tournament with him, flaunting a cute miniskirt and new pair of heels and reading Cosmo the entire time.


That never happened, and we've both since moved on, but I just love the underground world of nerd intrigue. So you can imagine my elation when my editor just handed me information about Columbus' very own Nerdacon.


It's basically this huge all-day convention Saturday, and it includes panel discussions on role playing, World of Warcraft and Star Wars. I am so turned on right now.


There are even tournaments, including -- you guessed it -- Magic.


Don't worry, I'll never convert to the world of intergalactic bliss. I will, however, always make sure I'm within a dungeon's length of somebody with the will to rock my warcraft world.


And that, my friends, is nothing short of magic.