Thursday, March 8, 2007

to thailand with love




Thanks for all the feedback on yesterday's gossip post. I plan on resurrecting that discussion soon. Make sure to spread lots of rumors about me in the meantime.


Anyway, while performing a Google image search on myself today -- what can I say? the antonella barba scandal scared me -- I found these pictures of my parents as 20-somethings who were Peace Corps volunteers in Thailand back in 1969. That's where they met, and amazingly they're still together.


Today, briefly, I had a moment in which I saw my parents as young adults...people struggling with quarter-life crises rather than anxiety over turning 60. I've never been one to believe that "parent" is synonymous with "friend." While some 25-year-olds I know have absolutely no qualms about divulging details of their personal lives to their parents, I always err on the side of caution. Usually justifiably.


Because of that, it's often hard to see my parents as anything but advisers, disciplinarians and money lenders. To think of them struggling with things like relationship woes and career uncertainty is almost unfathomable.


It's ironic that sometimes it takes no more than a click of a mouse to put time in perspective. And make you remember that, from black and white photos to black hair doused in grey, you still totally have the hottest parents. Ever.