Wednesday, March 28, 2007

should i stay or should i go?


Skirting advances is hard enough when you're flying solo. Throw a friend in the equation and you have an even more difficult situation.


It's a topic a friend and I discussed in the aftermath of an incident that happened Monday, when we went running at a local park. Long story short, a guy approached me mid-run to request my digits. After which my female running partner proceeded to sprint off like she had jalapenos in her pants.


I didn't really think much of it at the moment, but when we related the story to two guys, they both summarized my friend's actions with something to the effect of, "Damn! I can't believe you left your girl!!"


I know, I know...we're all supposed to have secret hand signals that tell our friends when pickup line-inspired conversations are the equivalent of nuclear gas attacks. But what if you don't know right away? And do you know when you've transformed from a much-appreciated romantic barrier to a burdensome third wheel?


When your friend is glowing with lust or grimacing with discomfort, this isn't an issue. Yet things are trickier in the earlier stages, when conversation is borderline. Especially since, more often than not, ideal matches aren't made instantaneously.


If you're The Friend, when can you make an exit without entering a danger zone??