Friday, July 31, 2009

Affection goes viral

Now, you have to do more than impress your partner's friends and parents.

You also have to impress the YouTube viewing audience.

Recently, this video of a wedding entrance dance to Chris Brown's "Forever" went viral.

Then, we got this video of a guy proposing to his girlfriend via a 60-person game of "telephone."

Sure, many people watch these videos for mere entertainment. But I think it's fair to assume some people -- women in particular -- watch the YouTube clips and raise their relationship expectations.

The clips contribute to a belief that true love is rooted in grand romantic gestures.

Their success is part of our fascination with publicizing love's most traditionally private aspects.

I'll admit I watched the "telephone" clip and guiltily slapped myself for wondering, "Why hasn't my boyfriend ever done anything cute enough to get on YouTube?"

Truth is, he has. I just didn't arm our friends with cameras during those moments.

And I don't know if my memories would be any fonder if we had the support of 13 million YouTube views.

Love on YouTube: Charming or cheesy?