Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cheap beer. Delicious.

PBR or Milwaukee's Best?

I know, I know: You're a Natty Light fan.

Here, The Washington Post taste tests some of the most widely discussed cheap beers. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize half the selections. Also, I really wish they would have included Coors Light.

Cheap beer is kind of a "love it or hate it" deal on the nightlife scene. Few of us get excited about the taste. Still, many people think that while slightly disgusting, a case of Natty Light is a necessary accessory to events like picnics. Sporting games. Moving parties.

But there's just as strong a contingent of partiers who gag at the mere sight of cheap beer. The can alone generates all sorts of memories of stomach-turning, dehydration-inducing discomfort.

Me? I've learned a journalist's salary makes you a whole lot more tolerant of PBR.

What's your favorite cheap beer?

By the way, this discussion is getting me even more excited about the July 4 cookout at Pop-A-Top, one of my favorite local dive bars. Action starts at 1 p.m. and food is free. I'll testify from firsthand experience that it's safe and perfectly edible.

Pop-A-Top is at 210 32nd Street in Columbus.