Monday, July 20, 2009

Meeting in the ladies' room

One of the most life-altering aspects of my California trip was when I entered a women's restroom and saw this sign:

"Boys older than 4 prohibited. No exceptions."

It seemed a bit harsh, but later that day I entered another women's restroom -- only to be greeted by an approximately 8-year-old boy who was just standing there.

OK, I'm sure he was waiting for his mom or something, but he just seemed a bit old to be lingering in a space where members of the opposite sex publicly adjust their underwear.

Then again, if you're a single mom traveling in a busy place, what's the alternative?

If I had an 8-year-old son, I wouldn't feel comfortable making him stand alone in an airport while I used the women's restroom -- especially if there was a line inside.

I guess this is why more and more venues are providing mixed-gender family restrooms.

Thoughts?