Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dating: This will be the last time

This post on The Frisky made me think about one of the most over-used words on the dating scene:

Closure.

The concept is good in theory. We say that even though our relationship is dead and gone, it's best to have one more coffee date with our ex...for closure.

It's OK to send one more "let's explore our feelings" e-mail...for closure.

It's a good idea to have dinner together one more time...for closure.

I've fallen into the same trap. Once, after an especially bad breakup, I wrote a series of e-mails to an ex. "Don't write back," I typed at the bottom of each. He didn't.

Meanwhile, by including that final line, I reasoned that I wasn't holding on to a bad relationship. I was just airing my emotions. You know, for closure.

Obviously, I was wrong.

There's an exception to every rule, but in the majority of cases there's no single defining action that immediately will put you at peace with a bad relationship. There's no imaginary door you can close to keep certain memories from resurfacing.

The best you can do is accept that fact, move on and keep your heart open.