Monday, July 13, 2009

Back on the market

When you've spent months in relationship hibernation, what's the best way to reintroduce yourself to the dating world?

I once thought two weeks post-breakup was an appropriate time to bring my single self back to the bar scene.

I wore a boob shirt, flaunted some glittery makeup and cleared my cell phone Rolodex for a new influx of male digits.

An hour into the night, I was theorizing about the perils of love while fighting back tears.

With my mom.

Lots of people say reentering the dating market is like jumping off the high dive at a community pool. Or tearing off a Band-Aid.

No matter how uncomfortable it is, you get to a point where you just have to close your eyes and do it.

Still, as liberating as it sounds, putting yourself back on the market can cause some serious problems if approached incorrectly. Appear too eager about the process and your friends will call any of your newest flings mere rebounds.

What's your best advice for someone reentering the dating circuit after breaking off a serious relationship?