Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer flings

While recently discussing the onset of warm weather, I heard a woman say, "I can't wait to have a summer fling." Normally, this wouldn't faze me. But she was pushing 30.

See, I always thought "summer fling" was a term reserved for August romances between two teenagers savoring their first minimum-wage gig at a fast-food restaurant.

I'm not ageist, I just think it's much harder to deliberately pursue a short-term relationship as an adult.

As a 20- or 30-something, there's a higher likelihood the object of your affection is looking for serious commitment.

What's more, unlike the summer flings we enjoyed earlier in life, we don't have the leisure of using "I have to go back to college" as a breakup excuse.

Yes, Columbus has its migratory military guys, but few summer's end breakups result in couples going to opposite sides of the country. Sever ties and you're likely to still see your former fling on Broadway the next weekend.

So tell me: Are you ever too old to have a summer fling?

(If you answered "no," check out these rules and tips for a casual relationship.)