Monday, January 11, 2010

Boyfriend nicknames

Blame it on Mr. Big.

Chat with a female friend about her recent love interests and you'll almost inevitably stumble upon the good old boyfriend/crush nickname.

One blogger details the nickname phenomenon here, noting:

There was ‘newyearsboy’, ‘filmboy’, ‘tallboy’, ‘marriedguy’,'bartenderdude’….you name it I’ve come up with a name.

Sadly, I'm not exempt from the trend. I once detailed a summer crush to my out-of-state friends while referring to the object of my affection as "Hot Guy" for nearly three months.

Go ahead, envy the originality.

My romantic history also includes Community College Guy and Newspaper Guy.

But while I'm not immune to it, I don't necessarily enjoy the boyfriend nickname trend. It adds an unnecessary level of impersonality to your relationship.

What's more, in this day and age, it's nearly impossible to keep a relationship secret.

Calling your guy "Nerdy Dude" doesn't add any mystery when his real name is tagged on 240 Facebook photos.

Share your most memorable boyfriend nicknames in the comments section. And guys: Is there a girlfriend nickname phenomenon, too?