Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Green wars

Are fights about saving the planet sending couples to therapy?

Here, the NY Times has an article where some therapists report an increase in 'green disputes' -- fights that happen when a person thinks his/her significant other isn't being environmentally friendly enough.

Honestly, the whole thing seems a little silly...almost like a spoof piece you'd read in The Onion.

But it raises an interesting question about which divisive issues remain mere disagreements and which ones put couples in therapy.

In relationships, I think it's important to disagree on some policy issues.

For example, Alan and I have entirely opposing views on the medical world. He puts a lot of faith in it, and I'm usually the first one to criticize a medical opinion.

This issue comes up a lot in casual discussions. While we never agree, I've evolved to the point where I don't take his opinions as a criticism of our relationship.

Would those policy disagreements ever land us in therapy? I hope not.

Especially since, you know, I'm a little leery of modern medicine.