Thursday, January 28, 2010

RIP, telephone

In the relationship world, have telephone conversations become just as obsolete as phrases like "going steady"?

Here, a Glamour blogger writes a humorous obituary for our good old friend Phone Call. An excerpt:

The Phone Call died a slow death. Its health began to decline in 2002 when unlimited text messaging plans allowed texting to become widespread. It is survived by millions of women who remember the way it provided a means for long-form verbal communication and an opportunity to show genuine effort on the caller’s part.

Sob, sob.

When it comes to romance, Telephone and I have had a rocky relationship. From high school until college, I was absolutely terrified to ask guys out via phone. I'd sit by the phone prepping myself for at least an hour before the call. No joke.

Once I attempted to do The Ask via AOL Instant Messenger. My date wouldn't accept the cop-out, and said I had to call him if I wanted a "yes." I obliged...reluctantly.

Still, I can't ignore the phone's more positive memories.

You know, the butterflies you get in your stomach upon seeing your crush's name first appear on your cell phone. Or the comfort of knowing that amid life's uncertainties, reassurance is just a ring away.

Weigh in: When you're dating someone, do you prefer to communicate by phone call or text message?