Thursday, January 7, 2010

Neediness redefined

One of my favorite people to follow on Twitter is NeedyGirlfriend.

It's a persona that adheres to all the stereotypical characteristics of a needy girlfriend.

Some sample posts:

I was thinking maybe later we could go to the park & you could hold my hand in public & we could take a photo of our hands, for Facebook.

Sometimes, when I want you to call, which is always, I play this game where I say your name over and over while crossing my fingers.

Hilarious, right? I totally agree with the movement to give this girl a book deal.

It's easy to look at a real-life Needy Girlfriend and vow to never be like her.

You know who I'm talking about: the girl who can't even drive to the supermarket without calling her bf to say she misses him...54 times.

In relationships, neediness is often your least-desired trait -- until you stumble upon it accidentally.

For instance: You insist you don't need to hear a significant other say "I love you." Then, however, you get into a relationship where verbal displays of affection aren't the norm and -- bam! -- you suddenly feel like the clingy girl you've always criticized.

Remember, there's a difference between being needy and having needs.

You don't have to feel guilty for wishing your relationship involved more hand-holding.

And don't worry...I'll be first one to shut you down when you approach Needy Girlfriend status.

(PS: I'm not a needy girlfriend -- at least that what my therapist says -- but you can still follow me on Twitter.)