Friday, January 29, 2010

We're pregnant!

Don't worry, Mom: I'm not making a life-changing announcement.

Instead, I'm discussing couples obsessed with using "we."

It seems like some daters enter relationships simply to incessantly use the term.

On some occasions, "we" is warranted. Exhibit A: "We will be there at 9."

But unfortunately, "we" has become more associated with unnecessary usage -- times when it seems to drain your significant other's autonomy. For example, "We totally hate that movie."

Then there are the occasions when "we" simply doesn't make sense -- like my biggest pet peeve, "We're pregnant."

Unless your significant other will be craving pickles and wearing elastic-waist jeans, settle for "I," honey.

As much as I hate the word, I understand the motivation for using "we." It reinforces a belief that strong relationships involve shared emotions.

Maybe that's why this study recently indicated couples who refer to themselves as "we" have stronger marriages.

It's enough to make me -- er, we -- reconsider my choice of language.

(via Jezebel)