Wednesday, October 15, 2008

bittersweet symphony

I'm talking about karaoke, of course.

Thursday's nightlife column is about some of my favorite karaoke cliches. You know, the audience members who sing along with the music like they're at a real concert. The female 20-something who takes the stage for a self-empowering round of "I Will Survive."

Now, basically every popular bar hosts at least one karaoke night a week. But if you're really looking to bask in karaoke as a night with, um, stories to tell your friends, try these often overlooked hot spots:

Lil Kim's Cove, 101 Fourth St., 706-323 -3315
Look no farther than this bar's Web site for evidence of its eclectic appeal: Among its featured karaoke regulars? Billy, aka: "Swivel Hips." I kid you not. Karaoke is Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Del Ranch Bar & Grill, 4920 Lee Road 430 Smiths, Ala.,
334-297-9177
It's not just karaoke here. It's EXTREME karaoke. For real, that's how it's billed. The "extreme" component is what happens when the bar's staff chooses singers' selections. It happens Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Saloon & Oyster Bar, 6005 Macon Road, 706-568-8400
I hit this hot spot Sunday night to take a photo my column and I had a blast. My only regret? That I couldn't rock out to the back-to-back songs dedicated to ladies 60 and older. Karaoke is Wednesdays and Sundays.

What's your favorite local karaoke hot spot?