Monday, October 13, 2008

instant euphoria



Happy Monday, everyone.

I can't help but notice that more and more of my friends have been down in the dumps lately. I think it's partially due to the changing seasons, and even more so a result of the shaky economy. At times, shaky finances make you reexamine the career choices you've made in your life. They also bring forward certain insecurities about the future you would have buried otherwise.

I haven't been exempt from it, either. But while analyzing some larger existential questions over the weekend, I realized I'd forgotten the importance of power music.

You know, that one song or music video -- yes, music videos still exist -- guaranteed to psych you up and make you believe you can conquer anything. For some people, it's a Jock Jams megamix. Others prefer a techno remix of Enrique Iglesias' "Hero." Hey, I'm not gonna judge.

My power song is the video included with this post -- Kelly Clarkson's performance of "Since U Been Gone" from the 2005 MTV Video Music Awards. For some reason, I can't get enough of it. And yes, I realize some psychological issues likely result from deriving energy from a song about self-reliance...but I don't care.

I feel better already.

What's your power song?